Your Mini Basket
Sonos One - Spotify Voice Control & General Alexa FAQs
With the recent release of the voice-controlled Sonos One, we show you how to use Spotify as your primary voice-controlled music service and also answer some general Sonos One FAQs...
With the recent release of the voice-controlled Sonos One, we show you how to use Spotify as your primary voice-controlled music service and also answer some general Sonos One FAQs.
Please note: if you are looking for initial Sonos One / Alexa setup information, please see our blog here.
Q: Can I use voice to control my Spotify library?
A: You can now use your voice to control Spotify Premium on Sonos One. Just ask Alexa for your favourite playlist, artist, album or song, then pause, resume, skip and adjust the volume.
How to select Spotify as your main music service for voice search
Make sure the music you ask for comes from Spotify by setting it as your default music service in the Alexa app. To do this follow the steps below.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app
- Tap top left button (which has three lines)
- Tap Settings
- Scroll down to “Music & Media”
- Tap “Choose default music services”
- Now select “Spotify” as the default music library and then “Done”
- Now Tap the Spotify logo on the music service page
- Now click the blue text “Link my account” next to the Spotify icon and follow the instructions (Note. if you have done this previously, please ignore this message.
- Return to the main screen and ask “Alexa, to play xxx” and she should reply “Playing xxx on Spotify”
If the above steps still do not work, please follow below
- Follow steps 1 & 2 from above
- Tap skills
- Either search Sonos or tap "Your skills" on the top right of the screen and select Sonos
- Once the Sonos skill page is open tap “Disable Skill” then “Enable” and follow the login prompts
- When promoted tap “Done” then “Discover devices”
- You will probably get a message to say “No new devices were found” so tap “Close”
- Return to the main menu and repeat step 9 from the above process
If for any reason the above steps do not work we reccommed contacting Sonos on 0800 026 1526 or visit the Sonos community page
Q: Can I create a stereo pair between Sonos One and Play:1?
A: Sonos One will only pair with another Sonos One. You cannot pair a Sonos One with a Play:1 for stereo sound or as rear surrounds in a home cinema configuration.
Sonos One can be wirelessly stereo paired with another Sonos One. In addition, you can use a pair of Sonos Ones as the rears for a Sonos home cinema set-up.
Sonos One is fully compatible with all the other Sonos speakers to play music in multiple rooms. For example, you can speak to your Sonos One in the kitchen and send music or turn the volume up in another room where you have a Sonos speaker.
Q: Are there stands or wall mounts for Sonos One?
A: We worked with partners to develop stands and wall mount accessories specific to the Sonos One. These are available here.
Note: Sonos One does not have a standard speaker screw mount so always check compatibility of the stand before purchasing.
Q: Do all Alexa commands work through Sonos One?
A: Most Alexa commands and skills are supported by Sonos One. However, several specific features that Alexa provides on Echo devices are not available. These include:
Voice calling, drop-in and messaging
Setting reminders and getting notifications
Playing audiobooks: We are working on bringing Audible to Sonos in early 2018.