Your Mini Basket
Smart Home Sounds Product Set-Up Guide
Simple set-up guides for our most popular products
Whether you’ve decided to purchase a Sonos speaker, an in-ceiling speaker or a turntable, we’re sure you’re eager to get music playing out of it as soon as possible.
This little guide will offer some pointers to help you get the most out of the system and some quick set up tips to start you off in the right direction.
Setting up Sonos speakers
- The first step is to download the free Sonos app from any app store to your chosen devices
- Decide on a place for where your speaker will go and the mains power socket it will use
- Ensure your WiFi is fully operational and running smoothly. If you are not confident in the WiFi, you may wish to connect at least one of the devices directly to the router with an ethernet cable
- Consider a music streaming service account if you don’t already have one, e.g. Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music etc. Access all the music on earth and stream in stunning quality!
- Once arrived, unbox your speakers, plug them into mains power, open the Sonos app and follow the on-screen instructions. If you have Sonos already, go to More > Add a speaker
Top tip - Tune your speaker to your room for the best possible audio reproduction.
During set-up, make sure you follow the on-screen prompts for Trueplay. This fantastic feature analyses room size, layout, décor, speaker placement, and any other acoustic factors that can impact sound quality. Then it perfectly adjusts how each woofer and tweeter produces sound.
Note. This feature can only be activated by an Apple IOS device.
Setting up a Rega Turntable
- Unbox the turntable by removing all external packaging. Follow the supplied quick set-up instructions.
- If using a turntable with a separate pre-amp, connect the RCA cable attached to your turntable to the line-in ports on your pre-amp and then connect the output from the pre-amp to your desired component with the correct cable required.
- If using a turntable with a built-in pre-amp, connect the turntable to your selected component with the correct cable.
- Power on the turntable and the pre-amp with mains power.
Playing your Turntable on Sonos
- Follow instructions in “Sonos speakers” & Turntable set-up above
- To play the turntable audio from any Sonos speaker in your system, open the Sonos App & select > Browse > Line-in > Then select the room name (Sonos speaker) you have your turntable connected to.
- If you enable Autoplay, you avoid the need to press line-in each time you’d like to listen to vinyl. Open the Sonos app > More > Settings > Room Settings > Select Room > Advanced Audio > Autoplay > Autoplay Room > Select Room you would like turntable audio to always come out of
Top tip - Is the turntable audio too quiet?
If so, you simply need to set the Line-In source level to a higher limit. The generic setting for line-in audio is set to 5. We recommend the line-in volume to be set to 8. To do this head to the Sonos App & follow the below steps - Sonos app > More > Settings > Room Settings > Select Room > Advanced Audio > Line-In> Then set the Line-In source level to 8 to more.
Installing / set-up of In-ceiling speakers
- Run the speaker cable to the desired ceiling speaker positions, from one central point.
- Unbox the ceiling speaker and using the cut-out template, cut the hole into the ceiling.
- Install the ceiling speaker into the ceiling void and drill the screws into the clamping mechanism.
- Attach the other end of the speaker cable to the desired amplifier using banana plugs or binding posts.
If using Sonos Amp
- Follow instructions in “Sonos speakers” above
- Consider mounting the Sonos Amp into a rack using Flexson’s neat solutions and install if using.
- Plug the Sonos Amp into mains power. Open the Sonos app and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup, or if you have Sonos already, go to More > Add a speaker